Medical facilities & insurance

Medical facilities

In France, you can freely choose your doctor. The cost of a consultation is about 23€ for a general practitioner and 41€ for a specialist. The reimbursement is different depending on whether you are European citizen or not and according to your age.

1st case – You are an European Union or European Economic Area citizen, and you are under 28 years old

  • You must have the European Health Insurance Card (valid for 1 year). The reimbursement will be partial, and it varies according to the kind of operation and the kind of medicines.
  • If you want to have the reimbursement of the rest, you will have to join a mutual company
  • If you do not have the European Health Insurance Card, you will automatically be affiliated to the French student social security system at the time of your registration to Sciences Po.


2nd case – You are not an European Union or European Economic Area citizen, and you are under 28 years old

  • If you come from Quebec, you must have form SE401 Q102 or SE401 Q106 bis and contact the student health insurance companies in France.
  • If you come from another country and you do not have these documents, you will choose a student health insurance company (LMDE or SMEBA).


3rd case – You are 28 years old more

  • You must register to the National Insurance Scheme, and take out private voluntary insurance cover preferably in France.
  • If your financial situation does not allow you to do this, you can benefit from the Universal Sickness Cover (CMU – Couverture Maladie Universelle).

Useful Numbers

European emergency number112
Fire service18
Sos médecins02 99 53 06 06
Drugs information service0 800 23 13 13
Alcohol information service0 811 91 30 30
Poisons unit02 99 59 22 22
Duty pharmacists/chemists32 37 (0.34€/mn)
Duty dentists02 99 38 84 22

The CROUS social workers provide a free social service.
The Service Interuniversitaire de Médecine Préventive et de Promotion de la Santé (SIMPPS – it is the intervarsity service of preventive medicine and health enhancement), can give you a medical certificate (attesting that you are not carrying a contagious disease, that you can do sports…) by appointment only. It is also for specialized consultations (gynecology, dietary, medico-psychological help), and information about STD, AIDS, vaccinations…

Useful addresses

SIMPPS, 263 avenue Général Leclerc (Bâtiment 21, Campus de Beaulieu), 35042 Rennes
Tel: +33 2 23 23 55 05

CPAM, 7 cours des Alliés, 35024 Rennes
Tel  : 36 46
Website  :

LMDE, 43 boulevard de la Tour d’Auvergne, 35000 Rennes
Website  :

SMEBA, 31-33 quai Chateaubriand, 35108 Rennes
Tel  : +33 2 99 78 33 66
Website  :


Our institutions will provide assistance in obtaining insurance for incoming and outgoing students, according to the requirements of the Erasmus Charter for Higher Education.

If the students are citizens of a country that is not a member state of the European Economic Area, they will legally be required to take the minimum student Social Security cover in France (215 € in 2015-2016). The fee entitles them to a partial refund; to obtain the rest the students must take out a student mutual insurance policy.

As well as being covered for their health, the students need to have what is called « assurance sociale ». It is especially needed if the students cause an accident. This insurance policy itself is called « responsabilité civile » and can be purchased when arriving in Rennes through the two main student insurance agencies (LMDE or SMEBA).

Information and assistance can be provided by the following contact points and information sources:

Caroline BIARD
Erasmus incoming students
Tel: +33 2 99 84  39 48; Fax: +33 2 99 84  39 50;


LMDE (La Mutuelle Des Etudiants)
SMEBA (Société Mutualiste des Etudiants Bretagne Atlantique)


Tel. : +33 - 2 99 84 39 18
Fax: +33 - 2 99 84 39 50